Toxic indoor plants

Some of you may not know it, but there are houseplants that can be toxic to you, your children or your pets because of the parasites they can leave in the air. Although, generally, houseplants are made to decorate with easy care, some of them can be harmful to your health and you should be aware if you want them in your life.

Plants depolluting and toxic!

You’re going to find some of the plants that we talked about in our depolluting indoor plants article, so you might wonder why these plants are “good and bad” for you? Should we give up the depolluting plants because they are toxic?

This is simply because a plant may be primarily beneficial to you if you use it properly. For example, most of the plants below are poisonous by ingestion or chewing, so if you do not chew them there will be no problem. For others it is the contact with the sap that can be irritating so it is better to know it.

In all cases, it is important to have potentially toxic plants out of the reach of children and animals. In case of concern, the first reflex is to wash with large water and the second if the first symptoms occur is to call the poison control center and / or go to the emergency room.

N ° 1: Aloe vera, a plant for care but toxic

Although aloe vera is good for the skin, for the care and is used in cosmetics (in mascaras or facials among others), this plant can be very toxic by contact with the sap, ingestion of the leaves or rods. Indeed, under the skin of the plant there is latex and it is this latex which is toxic if ingested since it can irritate the large intestine, ignite the kidney. If it is ingested too much, it may even have a laxative effect. In addition, contact with the sap can cause a skin reaction and therefore swell or burn skin and eyes.

N ° 2: The common ivy

It is a plant that is mainly outside but it is possible to have in his house, in small pots to add greenery to your place of life. It is not a plant that can only be found outdoors.

It is necessary to be very careful because if this plant is depolluting, it is also toxic and can be very dangerous if it is eaten. Ingestion of leaves and berries can trigger burning in the throat, difficulty breathing and sometimes even coma.

N ° 3: The daffodil

Very pretty plant usually planted outside in the spring but can be grown and planted indoors for winter forcing to give color to your house or apartment. None of you would have thought that such a pretty plant could be toxic … Well if, in case of ingestion of daffodil bulbs different symptoms may appear and they are rather serious: vomiting, chills, nausea, abdominal pain and sometimes even diarrhea in the most severe cases. In addition, in the most sensitive people, leaves, flowers and stem can cause itching and / or conjunctivitis.

N ° 4: Hyacinth

Another beautiful plant that we do not suspect the toxic effects it may have. Hyacinth is a very colorful plane that can be put in its interior to color the room. In the middle of the plant is the bulb and contact with it can create skin irritation. This is not a very serious effect like other plants but the skin of your fingers will then look very dry, chapped, scaly and this can cause some pain for sensitive people.

N ° 5: The philodendron

In our article on easy-care indoor plants, we mentioned that the philodendron was a plant that required little care and maintenance. But this plant is also very toxic if you are in skin contact with sap or if you swallow the leaves and / or the stem. Indeed, during skin contact with sap, this will cause you itching and rash. On the other hand, if you eat leaves or stems, the result will be more serious because this is going to be the cause of painful burns,
swelling of the throat, mouth, tongue and lips. That’s why you have to be careful with this plant because the consequences can be very painful.

No. 6: The alocasia or “elephant ears”

Alocasia is a plant that contains oxalate crystals in all its parts (leaves, roots, stems) that are very toxic if swallowed. It is an indoor plant with very pretty colors: green, red, pink and whose shape of their leaf resembles that of elephant ears hence the nickname “elephant ears” but which, as evoked previously, is enormously bad and toxic for both humans and animals. If the oxalate crystals are ingested, they can produce enormous and painful irritations in the soft parts of the mouth and throat. The sensations of burns and irritation gradually disappear in the time that follows.

N ° 7: The dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia is a plant that is really toxic to humans because, no matter what part of the plant you chew, you will be intoxicated. At the time, this plant was even used as a means of torture so it could be dangerous. The effects appear instantly and can last for several days depending on the amount swallowed and sensitivity of the person. If you chew the plant, irritation of the lips, mouth, throat will trigger with swelling of the mouth and difficulty speaking.

The effects are not only present when we swallow the plant. Dieffenbachia contains a toxic liquid and when one of its leaves is cracked, the liquid that touches our skin will cause burns from the first minutes but for a very short time. Moreover, at the level of the eye, this liquid will cause a big pain, a conjunctivitis and sometimes even a fall of the vision.

Toxic indoor plants in conclusion

Many plants have the same effects: skin or mouth irritations, burns, … This is why we must be extremely careful, especially if you have children or pets. Many of you were not aware of the toxic effects that a plant could contain, so this article will inform you about the different dangerous and toxic plants that may be present. Do not hesitate to inquire when you buy a plant to know if it contains toxic substances or not.

In addition, there are other plants that are toxic to your health such as cyclamen, ficus trees and shrubs, rhododendron or azalea, croton, apple tree toxic by their berries, the kalanchoe which is an exotic plant, the spurge and much more.

Even some pretty colorful plants that we did not imagine also have toxic effects such as poinsettia (or Christmas star), hydrangea or oleander (cover picture of this article) that can cause coma and death with only a small amount and in a few hours after ingestion … So beware of some pretty plants, appearances are sometimes deceptive.

Tell us, dear Fuzzy, in the comments if you have ever had a bad experience with one of your plants and if you were aware of the toxic effects that could have each of them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.